Saturday, 8 February 2014

SMASHBOX PHOTOFINISH FOUNDATION PRIMER


I'm normally restrained and avoid purchasing products without doing my research, but I slipped up with the Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer. During my October holiday last year, I managed to board the plane primer-less and land with a new product in hand, my purse £20 lighter. I think that's the definition of impulse buy. Gulp.

I've been using this on and off for the past few months, mainly smoothing some on for special occasions and days that I need my foundation to last longer, or rather hope so. I'm pretty sure it is a silicone primer, which doesn't bother me but I think my skin hasn't agreed. I can't come to a definite conclusion, but half of the time when I use this (which is normally around my cheeks and my nose) I end up with a few pimples here are there. It could just be a coincidence, but it is worth noting.

In terms of creating a blank canvas to work on, this does a great job. It glides over my pores and gives a smoother appearance to my face, leaving my skin velvety soft. I find it does not increase makeup longevity much at all, but aids my foundation into fading more evenly. Not worth the twenty something quid though.

Because of the silicone formula, this can ball up on the skin if you rub it in too much, especially with fresh moisturiser underneath. I've done that a few times and it means I have to try and get rid of the bits before proceeding with my routine. Ugh.

 I know many adore this, but the cons outweigh the pros here and I'm feeling rather silly for not doing my homework beforehand. I think this primer and I can be frenemies as I want to love it but we just cannot get along.

Megan x

10 comments:

  1. It's a shame you didn't get on with this primer. I've been using it on and off for about a year now and it works well with my skin. I do prefer Benefit Porefessional, though.

    Kimberley // Kimberley's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Porefessional, I've always wanted too! It goes to show that products work differently on everyone! xx

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad I read this since I've had my eye on it for a while, and it's quite pricy so I would hate for it to be a disappointment. I'm not convinced it would work for me so I may give this a miss. Thanks for the honest feedback :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried a small sample of this and my skin didn't agree at all with it! I now use benefit the porefessional, I love it, it lasts ages and doesn't break me out!

    http://mercuteify.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try porefessional!x

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard lovely reviews on this product and would love to give it a go. Hopefully I can get a sample size of this to see how it goes. Shame that this didn't workout for you.
    xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sample sizes are always the best idea :-) x

      Delete
  6. I am so glad that I read this review! I was about to buy this but I won't any more! It is worth mentioning that they do have different formulas one being one specially designed for spot-prone skin and it is oil free, I would like to try the Porefessional also:)

    Charlotte xxx
    http://charlottesconfashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your comment, I read each and every single one, and reply to as many as possible! - Megan x