Tuesday, 7 January 2014

A GUIDE TO CREAM BLUSH

One of my favourite products ever has to be cream blush. For some reason, I have such a soft spot for the stuff and much prefer it to the typical powder formulas, because of the dewy appearance it gives on the  cheeks. Don't get me wrong, I love a good swirl in a powder pan once in a while, but recently creams have been my absolute favourites. From the method of application to the stars of the show, here's what I've discovered during my recent love affair with such product.


Application - There are three tools I use to apply a little rouge. Firstly, the trusty Real Techniques Stippling Brush. We've been together for a year now and I've loved every minute of it's blending glory. You can go ahead and shove this right into the product, give it a little wiggle on the back of your hand to remove excess colour and off you go. Voila - soft focus blush right where you need it.

A new discovery but very much welcomed into my routine, is the H&M BB Cream brush. This baby was £5.99, and for an angled top buffer, that definitely isn't bad. It is super soft and perfect for working around the edges gently, to blur out those harsh lines. Multipurpose describes this perfectly, as it's also great for concealer, foundation and cream bronzer... I suppose we best move on before I go into 1000 word rave about this hidden gem. Seriously, you need one; and not just for cream blush.

The last of the trusty weapons to get my cheeks glowing is the good ol' ring finger . This warms the product slightly too, which means it will blend more effectively. I like to get a quick tapping rhythm going on with my tips, moving up and down the cheek area like I'm playing a piano on my face. Weird, I know, but oh so effective. Gently pushing the product outwards also works a dream if you're doing your makeup in public. The piano method might get you a few strange glances on the train.

Favourites - I'm yet to try any high end cream blushes, but so far the high street has served me very well. My favourites include the £2 range from MUA, of which I own three. The latest purchase was Bittersweet, a peachy pink that has me weak at the knees. I love some good winter plums, but this is so pretty it could not be excluded from this post.

I much regret not snatching up Topshop Neon Rose while I could, but my second choice of Prime Time serves me well. This is a true blue pink, that looks gorgeous combined with a complimentary lip and lashings of mascara. A true 'wake me up' shade.

Lastly for favourites, is Dainty Doll Orange County Girl. I've never seen any cream blushes quite like this shade, for the fact that it contains some Nars-esque gold shimmer. Although this is a little harder to get hold of now, it had to be featured for being so unique.

Extra Tips - I've also learnt along the way that it is best to apply creams first, on top of creams or bare skin. Powder underneath never sits quite right on my face, so if you're using a powder bronzer or highlight, sweep that on afterwards. If cream blushes never last on you, try setting them with a coordinating powder. This will provide extra staying power if your skin is a little on the oily side.

So, that was my ode to cream blush. Hopefully I've inspired you to try a few out and test the waters a little more. I'm willing to share the love on this one!

Megan x

(Perhaps this could be a mini series, is there any products you'd like 'a guide to'?)

10 comments:

  1. Great post, really helpful! I love cream blushes too, the Bourjois ones are my fave x

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so useful! I love the MUA blushes too, they're amazing for the price! Thanks for sharing xx
    Elise - www.elisedopson.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the MUA cream blushes but I recently got one from illamasqua and I have to say I really like using it, only it definitely requires being warmed up with your ring finger!

    S xo.

    blinkeredbarbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iv never got on with cream blush but il have to use the real techniques brush, thanks for the tip

    thepowderednose.blogspot.com
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post :) I want to start using cream blush more and this post is really helpful :)

    Great blog

    Faceitamy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried a cream blush before but this post is really helpful!
    xxx

    www.salted-roses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I own a few cream blushers but not touched them yet (oops) the idea of using them is kinda scary and offputting in a way. You've given some useful tips though so I think I may finally dig in to a few of them >.<

    ReplyDelete
  8. i used to absolutely love cream blush when i was younger!!but now i seem to be addicted to powder blush!so weird how our preferences change!:)xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fellow cream blush lover here. My favourite one is Stila Convertible Lip and Cheek colour.

    Kah-Feh Yen | YSL Rouge Volupté Lipstick Giveaway

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your comment, I read each and every single one, and reply to as many as possible! - Megan x