Saturday, 11 May 2013

Maybelline Color Show Polka Dot Nail Polishes in 'Chalk Dust' and 'Speckled Pink'

Hello everybody!
 
I was in Superdrug today (which I shouldn't have been, but who can resist?!) and I saw these nail polishes from Maybelline called 'Polka Dots'. There was 4 in the range and it was 3 for 2, but I got 2 and my mum got a pinky shimmer as she was paying, so I would have felt incredibly guilty if I got 3!
 
I chose 'Speckled Pink' and 'Chalk Dust' which stood out the most to me. There was a navy and a jade green too which might come home with me next time, who knows!
 
Since these were purchased literally a few hours ago I can't count on this being a full on review as I'll just be letting you know my thoughts on application to the nail stick. When I wear these on my nails, I'll definitely do a 'NOTD'!
 
 
As you can see above, 'Chalk Dust' is a mix of black and white multi-size hex glitters in a clear base, perfect for layering over anything and everything. Then we have 'Speckled Pink' which is exactly the same as 'Chalk Dust' but with a pink jelly base. I adore the packaging as it is so simple and effective, and I did drop one but it survived so I think they're quite strong too!
 
 
Above - Chalk Dust & Speckled Pink
 
First, let's begin with 'Chalk Dust'. This is a clear base with numerous sizes of black and white hex glitter in which is fairly opaque in 3 coats, but I would use it on top of others.
From first impressions, it was not at all gloopy and went on quite well actually. I did dab a few extra hex pieces on here carefully, but nothing was too much work and all in all, I think it's great! It dried super quickly too, even with 3 coats so I was very pleased about that aspect too. Many brands have been releasing polishes like this, but this may be one of the cheapiest I've found at £2.99!
 
 
 
Then, there's 'Speckled Pink'. I haven't seen a polish like this from the drugstore ever! It's a pink base with the same glitter as 'Chalk Dust' which I adore! In the below nail stick swatch I have used 3 coats, however I think to ensure max coverage I will apply a few coats of a pink creme before hand and apply a layered coat on top. This was great too, as it applied evenly (perhaps even better than 'Chalk Dust') and looked so pretty! I think I'm actually quite happy the base is so sheer, as glitter is all the easier to see underneath!
 
 
 
From what I've heard, these are limited edition... eeeekk! Grab 'em is all I can say!
 
Especially the coloured ones, they look so indie branded which I adore.
 
Did you enjoy this post? Are you going to buy one, or two, or three... or four?!
 
Thank you so much for reading my post today everybody!
 
Megan x
 

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
 
There's still time to enter my giveaway! Give it a go to win some skincare goodies and one of my favourite lip balms ever!

PS. And as Coco rightly pointed out in the comments, don't they remind you of Oreos?!

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They are! So unique too, especially the coloured ones!

      Megan x

      Delete
  2. Keep coming across these in blog posts, they look so nice. Looove the pink and black! x

    Holly | http://touchofcrimson.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Holly! I have seen them around too, and being as they're limited edition I kind of struggled to leave them in the shop! ;)

      Megan x

      Delete
  3. They are beaut! Must pick these up soon! x

    www.hannahheartss.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do Hannah!

      Megan x

      Delete
  4. Oooh I love Speckled Pink and for only £2.99, what a bargain, NEED to pick it up! xx

    Curls and Swirls Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Kat! I think it is kind of edgy too!

      Megan x

      Delete
  5. I NEED to get these my life! Illamasqua has a similar range (may have been limited addition too) but they are £14.50 so these are much more affordable. Hope they have them in my Superdrug!
    Great post :)

    Becky xx

    beautytobakes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what Illamasqua ones you mean Becky! The ones that looked like Cadbury's Mini Eggs?! My Superdrug is incredibly teeny so hopefully you'll see them in yours too!

      Megan x

      Delete
    2. Yeah they're the ones! Hopefully going in town at the beginning of next week, I so hope they are there :) xx

      Delete
    3. I hope they're there for you Becky! Which colours catch your eye?

      Megan x

      Delete
  6. Chalk Dust looks like Oreos. I have to pick it up, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes Coco! I should have thought of that! I love Oreos haha!

      Megan x

      Delete
  7. Wow! Great deal! Glad I saw this post just before I go to my flight!
    I will be getting some of these soon,
    Lauren x
    www.thebeaubow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh have fun and travel safe Lauren! I'm actually missing texting you already!

      Megan x

      Delete
  8. Ah I need to get my hands on these! xo

    www.trendymetrendyyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you get them Karen!

      Megan x

      Delete
  9. These look great! Looks like you got a good deal to, I'll have to check these out at somepoint!

    http://mabilicious.blogspot.co.uk/
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try them out, I love them now!

      Megan x

      Delete
  10. The colors are so pretty! I want to try them out x


    thenoisythinker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I havent seen these here in croatia :-\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll find them soon!

      Megan x

      Delete

Thank you very much for your comment, I read each and every single one, and reply to as many as possible! - Megan x