Thursday, 11 April 2013

Beauty Uses of Olive Oil

Hey everyone!
 
 
Filippo Berio Olive Oil 250ml

I have done some research and found out that olive oil should be a staple in everyone's collection, or at least in their kitchen! Not only does it taste good, but it has some amazing skin benefits which I will share with you today, by writing about how you can use it!

1. An intense hand/nail treatment. If you suffer with weak nails or awful cuticles, by rubbing olive oil into your nail beds you can help soften your skin and supposedly strengthen your nails. I have tried this (this morning actually) and do find it works. I rubbed the olive oil over my hands too for a few minutes and now they are super soft too!

2. Make DIY scrubs! You can easily combine either brown or white sugar with some olive oil to create a natural exfoliant that removes dead skin with the sugar and moisture from the oil.

3. Use as a makeup remover! As this is an oil, it will break down your makeup easily as well as being non-drying due to its moisturising properties. I have actually used this for the past few days to remove my makeup and it does work! It even made light work of my eye makeup!

4. Use on hair as a deep conditioning treatment. Personally, I didn't find this worked too well for me but others seem to like it so I should mention it in case it works for you! I smothered some on the ends of my hair and left it for a few minutes before washing off and continuing with my hair routine. (I barely have one though!) It did make my hair a bit softer, perhaps I didn't use enough?
 
5. Clean makeup brushes. This worked very well when I tried it! Mix some olive oil with some baby shampoo or dish soap and wash as normal. It will make your brushes very clean, mine were!
 
So there are the 5 ways I have used olive oil so you could call this tried and tested haha! If you have any uses for olive oil I didn't feature or you think I should try, let me know! I'm really enjoying using something more natural!
 
 
 
PS. As and extra... a very bizarre tip I found in the 8th April edition of More magazine. I tried it and it didn't work...!
'We've never heard this one before, but if you have dry cracked lips from the cold weather, you should dab a bit of oil (olive oil will do the trick) in your belly button before you go to bed. you should wake up with a smooth, chap-free pout. Very bizarre, but it totally works!'
 
Thank you for reading!
Megan x

PS. What's the difference between extra virgin and normal olive oil? Which one is better for your skin?! Haha please leave me a comment :)

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
 

20 comments:

  1. Love the belly button tip aha! May try the cuticle tip too! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deffo going to try the nail trick - my nails are really weak and I am yet to find a good treatment to help - loving your blog!

    Martha xxx
    http://marthablogsblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the trick helped mine a lot more than I was expecting actualy :) Thank you so much Martha!

      Megan x

      Delete
  3. woah that's really weird, i'll have to try the belly button trick!

    www.justshazea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tought that! My friend actually mentioned it could have been an April fools trick lol!

      Megan x

      Delete
  4. Very interesting post...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin???
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use olive oil for my nail beds all the time! It makes so much difference and it's so cheap :-) I'll have to try the belly button tip, sounds too good to be true!!

    Jaime xx

    catsclothesandcupsoftea.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jaime! It does sound too good to be true haha :)

      Megan x

      Delete
  6. You have a great blog here :D

    if you are interested in fashion, healthy recipes, training, traveling and inspirational photos
    come check out my new-opened blog themichellec.blogspot.com

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for taking the time out to have a look at my blog sweetie :)

    Olive oil in your belly button? Think I'll pass on that one!

    I'm following on bloglovin' :)

    MissMorganLondon.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its ok Morgan! I really liked it :)
      Thank you for commenting!

      Megan x

      Delete
  8. I always use olive oil and sugar as a scrub, works wonders! Don't think I've ever heard of the belly button tip, and I think I'l be steering clear. Sounds a bit too weird for my liking! haha.

    Maxine, xx
    beautybeatsbooks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Extra Virgin is just a lot purer than normal olive oil, it's used for salad dressing not frying. It's also a lot more expensive.
    I absolutely love your blog!
    AlexRocksXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexander! I'm going to get some extra virgin olive oil soon, it was about 10p more expensive than normal. Better than I thought!

      Megan x

      Delete
  10. I am pretty sure that Extra Virgin is a lot more pure, like Alex said, as I think it also has a lot less things added to it and changed, so I *think* (I may be wrong here though) that it is more natural! The belly button tip is so odd haha!

    Lauren x

    www.thebeaubow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I'm going to buy some extra virgin oil and see if there is a difference soon :)

      Megan x

      Delete

Thank you very much for your comment, I read each and every single one, and reply to as many as possible! - Megan x