Wednesday, 3 April 2013

How I Wash My Brushes

Hey everyone!
 
I honestly cannot believe I have 61 of you now, thank you!!!
 
I was washing my brushes on Sunday, so I thought I would take a few pictures and share with you what I do.
 
 
The main focus of this post is the product you can see above, which is the Johnson's Baby Shampoo. The idea of this shampoo is that if used on babies and it gets into their eyes, it will not upset them as it is a calm as pure water. So, this is good, as when washing your brushes you do not want to upset the glue that holds the bristles together inside the handle!
I purchased this 300ml bottle from Savers for around £1-£2, but I know you can find it in most supermarkets and even pound stores.So before you wash your brushes, have something that will clean them as simply water will not do the job!
 
The brushes you will see today are from Real Technqiues range at Boots. I am seen here washing the stippling brush and the deluxe crease brush, incase you were wondering!
 
 
Start by washing your brush under running water, so you can create a nice lather with the shampoo. Then, pour a small amount of shampoo onto your hand (larger brushes need more shampoo) and begin to swirl the brush in your palm.
 
 
It should look like this! Haha, but obviously with the same brush! Try not to press to hard when rubbing the brush in the bubbles, because I found it pushes the shampoo higher up into the bristles and then I struggle to get them out!
 

 
So, now give it a wash! I sometimes struggle getting rid of all the bubbles, so I swirl it in my hand under the running water for a while. Also, probably the best thing you can learn in this post is USE COLD WATER! Hot water can and will melt the glue that holds your bristles in, leaving them to shed hair and become less dense. If you find cold water too cold, which I do all the time, use water that is no hotter than luke warm.
 
That's it really, a clean brush!
 
I've never tried using a hair dryer to dry my brushes, becaue it is warm so could damage the glue but I won't knock it til' I have tried it! I usually grab a towel, and swirl (once again, lots of swirling in this post!) to remove most of the water, then leave to dry on my windowsil. It takes a night time for me to get mine to dry which is why I tend to wash my brushes in the evening, once a week to avoid excess bacteria build up.
 
That's it then! It took me a while to write but I hope you enjoyed and learnt something new. By no means am I a professional brush washer or bristle expert, these are just the things I do and found worked for me!
 
Thank you very much for reading, see you soon!
 
Megan x

 

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

10 comments:

  1. I really need to get some baby shampoo to wash my brushes!

    Millie
    xxx

    milspiration.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use baby shampoo too! Except for my sigma kabuki brushes. Those take a little more hard work and I use a mixture of kitchen soap and olive oil for those.
    waitealittle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh Olive Oil? I will give that a go! I think I have seen a few people use it! Olive oil has so many purposes :)

      Megan x

      Delete
  3. I also love using baby shampoo for washing my brushes. The one I'm using is an all natural one, by Human Nature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to try some more natural products actually!

      Megan x

      Delete
  4. I use this all the time, however I do find it doesn't work as well with my flat top foundation brush..
    Thanks for sharing!

    Charlotte xxx
    http://charlottesconfashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I'd love to know how you wash them :) I sometimes have to repeat the steps for the stippling brush.
      Thank you Charlotte!

      Megan x

      Delete
  5. I love washing my brushes - they feel so soft afterwards. Never tried baby shampoo but might have to make a cheeky purchase!
    http://redlipsblackflicks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how they feel afterwards too, make that cheeky purchase Daisy!

      Megan x

      Delete

Thank you very much for your comment, I read each and every single one, and reply to as many as possible! - Megan x